I'm finally getting up to speed with downloading podcasts to my non-iPod mp3 player. Considering the state of L.A. radio, and my lack of any satellite radio subscription, this is a nice alternative to listening to my music (which I still do...I just like options). I'm finding it very useful in the mornings. I'm an NPR junkie and like that kind of programming on my drive to work. However, I listen in the shower and while getting ready for work. By the time I get in my car, NPR begins to repeat.
So, what shows am I'm enjoying? For awhile now, I've listened to GeeksOn with Eric. One of the geeks is a friend of ours. It's a fun show, but a bit heavy on the video game geekiness for me, as I'm just not into gaming so much. On Ren's recommendation, I checked out The Word Nerds. Their podcast is great! Another favorite is Science Friday. I love the show, but often miss it, so now I can catch up. There are also several NPR podcasts on subjects ranging from the media to technology to pets.
I had to make some room on my player to use it for the occasional podcast. I had nearly filled the 20 gigs with music. How often was I really listening to The Lord of the Rings trilogy soundtracks? Rarely to never, so I removed some stuff like that. 95% of the music on my mp3 player is ripped from my own cd collection anyway. And the other 5% is from Ren's.